I was looking for inspiration for a great crock pot friendly Paleo beef stew. It was the mushrooms and balsamic vinegar that drew me to the recipe over at PaleOMG. I threw everything into the crock pot before I left for work and when I got home…..Voila! Dinner! Love the crock pot!
- 1.5-2lbs beef stew meat
- 1 package sliced button mushrooms
- 1 package whole shiitake mushrooms
- 1 package baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 rutabega, chopped (original called for sweet potato) You can really use any root veggie here. Use what you or your kids like.
- a handful of baby carrots (my addition)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed (use the flat part of a knife and carefully but forcefully smash it before you peel it, it will be easier.)
- 1 cup pearl onions, place in boiling water for 3 minutes then douse in cold water to easily peel these little babies. Just slice off the end then squeeze it out of the skin. (or you can use regular onion if you don’t have pearl onions)
- 2 cups beef or chicken broth (or water if you don’t have that on hand but broth or stock is better, the original asked for 1 cup but I felt it would be too dry.
- 1/3-1/2 cup balsamic vinegar. Start with 1/3 cup then add more if you feel it needs it when you taste toward the end. Mine needed more.
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 tbs dried oregano
- 1 tbs dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried sage
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ( I omitted red wine vinegar, parsley and onion powder from the original recipe)
Place all mushrooms, garlic, and pearl onions in the bottom of your crock pot.
Throw meat and rutabegas (or sweet potatoes or other root veggie) and carrots on top.
Add the rest of your ingredients. The meat juices will run down onto the mushrooms and the root veggies won’t get mushy since they are on top of all the wet ingredients.
Cook at low for 6-8 hours. Yummers!
check out PaleOMG for other yummy recipes.